pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Pan 0.91 issues

From: Christophe Lambin
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Pan 0.91 issues
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 23:48:51 +0200

On Wed, 05 Apr, 2006 at 23:32 +0200, Charles Kerr wrote:
> Okay.  We can test for a linefeed before appending one:

Thanks. Patch worked.

> >Now, the article did not show up when I next did 'get new headers', but
> >I suspect that's a different bug. It did show up when I got 'all
> >headers'.
>
> Well, that's what I'm here for.

I'm trying to track that down, but still making my way around the new
code. It looks like Pan's corrupting its article counters somewhere.
Before I start Pan, I see:

$ cd ~/.pan2
$ grep easynet.test *
newsgroups.dsc:easynet.test:Test group for customers of Easynet PLC UK.
newsgroups.xov:easynet.test 44 23 1:1641
newsrc-1:easynet.test: 0-1641

Now, I start Pan, go to that group (easynet.test) and exit Pan. After
that, I see:

$ grep easynet.test *
newsgroups.dsc:easynet.test:Test group for customers of Easynet PLC UK.
newsgroups.xov:easynet.test 22 0 1:1641
newsrc-1:easynet.test: 0-4294967295

Now the newsrc string is 0-4294967295. Now, that big number looks
suspiciously like (unsigned int) -1, doesn't it. :-)

It can also affect newsgroups.xov:

$ grep 4294967295 newsgroups.xov
newsgroups.xov:dsm.network 0 4294967295
newsgroups.xov:easynet.adverts 0 4294967295
newsgroups.xov:easynet.fr.adsl 0 4294967295
newsgroups.xov:easynet.fr.support 0 4294967295
(etc.)

That bug would also explain two other things I've seen:
a) get new headers stops working (is based on newsrc, I guess)
b) getting all headers will show new headers is read

> (here for fixing the bugs, or for writing them in the first place? ;)

Like Abe Simpson said: a little from column A, a little from column B. :)

Regards,
Christophe