pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Building PAN on Windows - Success

From: DPA
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Building PAN on Windows - Success
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:53:52 -0500

FINALLY!  Success!

Thank you all!

My last issue with an error regarding getaddrinfo, this was resolved by rolling back to an older version of mingw.

I successfully installed it on three Windows XP PC's and I was able to test the following items successfully:
Connect to a news server
Connect to a news server that requires authentication
Download all groups
Download headers for a large group
Save Attachments

A couple of notes and questions:
1) I modified the Inno Setup file to copy pcreposix.dll and libxml2.dll into the PAN directory, should that go into sys like pcre.dll does or is it ok to put it in the PAN directory? The first time I built it and ran PAN it complained that it could not find that file so I modified the .iss to include it in the install package and put it into the app directory. If this is wrong let me know.

2) I used alt.binaries.dvd as a test group and PAN stopped responding at ~96% with ~1.6 gigs of memory in use. Other groups worked fine, I guess the Windows version still has some memory issues...

3) It still requires the GTK Runtime enviroment available at http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/releases/0.14.2/WINDOWS/gtk_for_windows/GTK-Runtime-Environment-2.2.4.1.exe <http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/releases/0.14.2/WINDOWS/gtk_for_windows/GTK-Runtime-Environment-2.2.4.1.exe>

A couple of items remain to be completed:
1) Write up and recreate all the steps I took
2) Test on other Windows Platform, Win2k, Win9x etc...

Charles, would you like me to email you this package to examine and test? Should I gzip up my build directory as well and send it to you or would you prefer if I made a number of patch files?

Again, thank you to everyone for all the help! Duncan, Charles, Christophe, K.Haley and everyone else!

Charles Kerr wrote:
DPA wrote:
Well I wish I could say that I was successful but I have been unable to
compile libxml2...  I walked away from it for a few days out of
frustration but I will pick it back up sometime this weekend.

If my hack results in the behavior you describe I will dig into it and
see if I can produce a patch to resolve it, but I hope I don't have to
try!  My unused Comp Sci education is 10 years old so any patch I make
could be very ugly ;-)

As for running it on Windows I run it on my primary machine under linux,
but I would like to get a Windows version working for a friend who wants
a good client but the non-CVS version hangs for him when he visits many
of the larger binary groups.  Right now he is running Agent but he would
like to use PAN and this is an interesting Challenge for me.  If I do
manage to get it done and if Charles doesn't mind I will host the
installer somewhere for people to download if they want to test the CVS
version on Windows.

No, I don't mind -- lots of people have been asking for an update of the Windows version. In fact if you get it working I'd be happy to host it on rebelbase. :)

http://pan.rebelbase.com/building-pan-on-windows.txt should be helpful to anyone wanting to build Pan on Windows. It's essentially a list of the steps I've gone through in building in the past.

I never could get libxml2 2.6.3 or higher to work, so my Windows builds stuck with 2.6.2. If it makes you feel better, the libxml2 dependency is going away RSN.

cheers,
Charles