pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] A proposal for multiserver.

From: Matt Eagleson
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] A proposal for multiserver.
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 12:38:24 -0700

Charles, that's a great idea and something that I had been wanting to implement years ago when I was actively developing.

I had also considered that it might be valuable to include a priority value with server definitions so the user can have some influence over which server Pan will use when many have a particular article. In this way the user can make sure the fastest servers are preferred, et cetera.

--Matt

Charles Kerr wrote:
I'm thinking of doing some changes to Pan to implement multiserver support.

First, see MessageSources in pan/base/. It's a set if {server, group, article number} tuples of where to find an article. Let's call it an Xref, since that's shorter and makes more sense.

Now, the current $PAN_HOME/.pan/$server/$groupname file will have to change. We will only want one header file per group, so the structure will look more like $PAN_HOME/.pan/groups/$groupname. When we xover the same group from two servers, the first copy of a header to come in creates a new Article object. The second one to come in (from the second server) just adds more Xref entries to the existing Article.

The Task struct would lose its Server field. Instead when a task set its state to TASK_NEED_SOCKET, it would also tell the state object which servers it could use. The task would build this list of servers by walking through the Xref struct for each article it needed to fetch.

The Server has-a Group has-a Article structure would need to change, and Server would essentially be downgraded to a struct holding the server's address, username/password, and maximum number of connections.

The group pane would show all servers' groups at once.

The Server menu would go away since we'd no longer have to switch from server to server.

Any thoughts/suggestions?