pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Pan CVS download problems

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Pan CVS download problems
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 07:24:18 -0700

Lenny Nero posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Sat, 16 Apr 2005 18:08:12 +0100:

> I have been trying to get the CVS servers to work for me so I can start
> working with the latest Pan, with no luck.
>
> So far this week I have not been getting much info from the net as to what
> the servers are or how I should be getting it to download to my computer.

That's a bit ambiguous.  Does it mean you are having problems with the
network side of things, or that you are unfamiliar with CVS?

If it's the former, see kevlinux's reply.

If it's the latter, an intro can be had from the book that served as my
intro to Linux, O'Reilly's "Running Linux", now in its 4th edition, IIRC.
It was well worth the read, and by the time I was thru reading it almost
cover to cover, I figure I saved myself at least three months of full time
familiarising myself with Linux, so it was well worth the $35-ish I think
it cost me.

Very briefly, CVS=Concurrent Versioning System. It's what many free/libre
and open source software projects use to manage their source tree, altho
it's a bit long in the tooth, these days. You have to have the CVS
application package installed on your system, to be able to connect to the
Gnome CVS server where PAN's source is stored, and check it out
anonymously (read-only).

Thus, if you've been trying to connect with a regular web browser or
something, yes, you'll have problems.