pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Another big Pan code commit

From: K. Haley
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Another big Pan code commit
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:28:57 -0700

Charles Kerr wrote:

I've committed a big set of changes to attack bug #132477, excessive
memory usage in large newgroups.

The main change is that each multipart header from XOVER is now stored
in an AttachmentPart struct, which holds the minimal unique info we
need for each post (size, date, xref, message-id).  The Article
struct's "threads" field has been split into two: "followups" and
"attachments", where "attachments" is a list of AttachmentParts.  So
no matter how many parts a multipart has, it's still just one Article.

As a side-effect the ~/.pan/servername/groupname datafiles are about
50% smaller, and threading and header pane updates in large groups are
absurdly fast.  *big grin*

K. Haley: how big of a monkey wrench does this throw into your
database schema?

I don't think it will a big problem, the biggest change will likely be
importing the new datafiles.  I'll do a cvs update this weekend and see
what changes are needed.  That will give me some time to track down a
new crash bug during import of the old data files.

PS. It would probably be best to target Glib & GTK 2.4.? for now.  I've
been hearing about warning dialogs that aren't being displayed causing
apps to lock up.  Also, I'm not aware a a windows port yet.