pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: GTK/Win assertion

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: GTK/Win assertion
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:46:39 -0700

Gisle Vanem posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:16:40 +0200:

> I'm trying to build/run pan 0.14.2.91on Win-XP / MingW.
>
> g_thread_init() doesn't exists on GTK 2.2.4 on Windows
>
> I snooped at Ethereal (which uses GTK+ on Window). It doesn't
> use threads, but rather a timer hooked with gtk_timeout_add().
> Is that a sollution for Windows? How are people able to build and run
> latest  pan on Windows? Looks like it's no longer the case (?)

Read the "Want to fix memory consumption issues" thread.  The old GTK+
build PAN was using is depreciated.  The author is no longer developing
it, but recommends switching to a GTK+2.4 build by Tor, which is confirmed
to work.

As for timer hooks being a PAN solution on MSWormOS, I don't expect anyone
wants to fork the code and support an MSWormOS only branch (unless YOU
want to try it).  It's a generally inferior solution on *ix (including
Linux, but not just.. as it also includes the BSDs and I believe someone
mentioned PAN on Sun's proprietary-ware), so I don't think we're going
there.

Another possibility, if it comes to that, would be to implement just a
(faux) threading system on MSWormOS, using the timer functionality you
mentioned, so one isn't messing with PAN or even all of GTK+, but just
implementing the one set of functionality, to be used by anything needing
it, including PAN.  Maybe that's how it was handled in the new GTK+
version?

BTW, if you just subscribed and need an archive, try gmane.org.  I use
their list2news gateway for reading and posting to all my lists, including
this one, altho they have a list2web interface as well (tho it's limited
in retention, but anything to far back isn't likely to be useful anyway).

Benjamin Franklin