pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] More database thoughts

From: Sebastian Kapfer
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] More database thoughts
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 14:38:49 +0200

Am So, den 20.06.2004 schrieb K. Haley um 8:00:

> Pan currently uses one directory for each server.  These directories
> contain files for each group for which you've downloaded headers,
> containing the article info for that group.  This would seem to make
> cross-checking complicated.  As for corruption, Pan's current setup gets
> corupted occasionaly as is.

Amen, brother.

> The only real solution here is to use more
> than one DB file.  The first would hold the server, group, and
> group-server tables.  The article and article-server stuff could be in
> one or more additional tables.   It's an interesting tade-off.

If you're going to implement a DB backend anyway, please fix the
corrupting issues instead of working around them and designing
mechanisms which make the bugs less visible or unnerving.   I assume it
pays off in the long run to have a simpler solution which can be
debugged easily.

--
Best Regards,  | This signature is currently under construction.
 Sebastian     | Please check back later!