pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] RE: Problems setting up to build Pan on Windows...

From: Evan Martin
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] RE: Problems setting up to build Pan on Windows...
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 09:42:57 -0800

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 01:25:55PM -0000, Paul Hudson wrote:
> I've got a bit further, but I'm now stuck again.
>
> For my libxml2 problem, I've no idea whether it's the right solution, but
> *a* solution is to use
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/libxml2 --without-zlib
>
> (instead of
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/libxml2
>
> as pan-windows-port.txt has it)

libxml has a lot of features Pan likely doesn't use.  That looks
harmless.

> I needed to run autogen.sh rather then ./configure directly for Gnet (hinted
> at in the Gnome-common bit, but I faffed about for a bit before getting it
> working)

autogen rebuilds configure using your local install of the autotools.
Especially for windows, this is often necessary because windows support
in those tools is quite new, and only cygwin/mingw are really interested
in using the bleeding-edge versions of them.

> The "sanity check" for Gnet fails. I don't know what the problem is, though.
> Has anyone successfully built from the current CVS HEAD for Gnet?

Check config.log, the configure.in (or configure.ac) or in general
provide more details than just "fails".  :)

> Pan instructions are slightly wrong if building from the latest tarball
> (haven't tried CVS yet)? - needs ./configure, ./autogen.sh is not present.

autogen is typically only included in CVS, because you don't "really"
need it.  I'd suggest getting Pan from CVS if only to be able to rebuild
configure for the above reasons.

> However, my ./configure fails with
>
> checking for shared library run path origin... ./config.rpath:
> ./config.rpath: No such file or directory
> done
> checking for iconv... no, consider installing GNU libiconv
> checking preferred charset formats for system iconv... not found
> configure: error:
>         *** The iconv-detect program was unable to determine the
>         *** preferred charset formats recognized by your system
>         *** iconv library. It is suggested that you install a
>         *** working iconv library such as the one found at
>         *** ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libiconv
>
> There does seem to be a iconv.dll (and .lib) in the gtk stuff - is this
> sufficient?

Not sure there.  Did you install those iconv files?  Rather than pick
and choose GTK stuff, I'd suggest installing it all.

Also: I have some build notes for another GTK app on Windows.
You may find it useful:
http://cvs.livejournal.org/browse.cgi/logjam/README.win32?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

--
Evan Martin