pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: nbz file support

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: nbz file support
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 00:09:28 -0700

Frank Colson posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Fri, 26 Dec 2003 22:21:54 -0700:

> Is there any plan to add support for nbz files allowing PAN to download
> posts without having to download headers?  This file format is currently
> supported by www.newzbin.com and is currently working in the Windows
> newsreader NewsLeecher.  I have tested this feature and have had good
> success in using it.  I however only use Windows where I absolutely have
> to, and would much prefer to continue to work exclusively on Linux with
> Pan at home.
>
> A link to the specification provided by www.NewzBin.com
> http://www.newzbin.com/media/help/msgid_files.html

Heh. I just eliminated even my backup install version of MSWormOS
recently, having eliminated the installed partition from the disk a month
or two earlier, and having booted that only perhaps once in 3-6
months over the last year and a half.. so I definitely understand your
disliking having to work with it..

As for your question.. can't answer directly, but I would suggest filing a
wishlist item in bugzilla for it.  You could then post the number and url
here, and you may get a few others adding their support as well.  I can
say PAN was fairly fast on the yEnc thing, which occurred just about time
I was switching to Linux, so I don't know how big the request queue was
for it, but if there's significant interest, I'm guessing it'll be added
fairly quickly as was yEnc.

Other than that.. the usual answer is that if it's not a direct priority
of Charles or Chris, the chances of a timely inclusion are in
general directly proportional to the willingness of someone with coding
skills to code an appropriate patch.  <g>  As Charles has posted many a
time.. patches welcome!  <g>  (Unfortunately, I'm not in that category, at
least yet, tho maybe someday..  Meanwhile, I try to be of help on the
list, where possible.)

Benjamin Franklin