pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Connection limit...

From: Christophe Lambin
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Connection limit...
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:15:19 +0200

Mark Derricutt [24/08/03 23:54 +1200]:
> My airnews account only lets me have 3 connections, so that's what I've set
> in Pan, however occasionally I get an error saying "only 3 connections
> allowed" - so I'm guessing somewhere along the way Pan is creeping in
> another connection ( so I have it currently set at 2 ).

Could be. Another explanation would be that Pan closed one of the connections
(e.g. timeout, read error) and created a new one, but the server still has
the original connection marked as open.

A 'netstat -a | grep nntp' at the time of the error would show you how many
connection Pan really had open to your news server.   Pan's Log Viewer would
also help in determining what was going on.

> Has anyone noticed this?

I've seen it reported once before, but AFAIK we never got enough information
to diagnose the problem.

> Also - is there anyway to ratelimit pan's downloading of binaries?  Lately
> it seems to be taking all my ( poxy dialup ) bandwidth leaving nothing for
> browsing the web...

No, Pan doesn't limit bandwidth usage (never has, for that matter).

Regards,
Christophe