pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] The Blue Sky Becomes Clear - part 01: Basic Thoughts -

From: Haran Shivanan
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] The Blue Sky Becomes Clear - part 01: Basic Thoughts - revision 00
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 20:33:44 +0530 (IST)

Module 'Bas Mevissen' core dumped on Wed, 2 Apr 2003 with the following output

> * Article database: more fine tuning of the article cache, purging and the
How about a new way of storing the cached articles?
Currently, each article is stored in a separate file, which means the
directory is littered with hundreds or thousands of files with each
burning a (typically) 4KB inode (for linux installations).
I know the mbox format was already tried and thrown away but why?
It would not only be more effecient to store articles in this format, but
would make it easier to use from another reader or more appropriately,
read articles from an existing mbox. I think the main argument against the
mbox format was the cost in parsing the flat file and deleting messages
from it. But correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the format used by
many other news readers? (definitely Netscape and possible Mozilla use it)
I havn't extensively used them but were there any performance problems in
using mbox?

http://www.jwz.org/doc/mailsum.html

Just my 2 cents

--
Over thinking,over analyzing seperates the body from the mind