pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] some patches

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] some patches
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 11:49:52 -0800

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 06:56:35AM +0530, Haran Shivanan wrote:
> Module 'Gollum' core dumped on Sun, 5 Jan 2003 with the following output
>
>> Haran Shivanan wrote:
>> > [...] >> > Made pan recognize "\n--\n" as a signature delimitor.
>> > I know this is not standards-compliant behaviour,  [...]
>>
>> Before we apply this patch, we should carefully consider the possibility
>> that "\n--\n" could be used within the text by posters who are unaware
>> that this may be interpreted as a signature delimiter.
>>
>> I suppose the space in the standard delimiter is used just to avoid
>> to avoid such problems.
>
> OK, good point.
> So should I remove the compatibility with "\n--\n" and resend the
> patch? How about the rest of the code? Is it OK?

The rest of the code is fine, though the detail regarding gtk's tag fields
makes me wonder if there's not a gtk API call to do this already?

I really love the idea of applying the colors immediately, and of
coloring the signature file.  These have both been on my personal TODO
for awhile and I appreciate the patch. :)

Regarding \n--\n, I think we should accept it for reading as long as we
are reasonably sure it's at the end of the article.
Perhaps if the number of lines underneath \n--\n exceeds N (six?)
then we wouldn't treat it as a signature delimiter.

message-window.c has some code to find the signature delimiter.
Haran, would you extract that out and promote that up to util.[ch]
so that text.c and message-window.c can share it?

cheers,
Charles