pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] some patches

From: Haran Shivanan
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] some patches
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:24:43 +0530 (IST)

Module 'Christophe Lambin' core dumped on 7 Jan 2003 with the following output

> 4. gtk_text_tag_copy_values() relies on the current definition of the
> GtkText structure. I feel it would be better to have
> gtk_text_tag_table_install() remove the old tag and install the new one
> instead. This would also fix the memory leak in 3.

This was my first approach.
I would remove the old tags from the table and then call
set_text_buffer_tags() to enter the updated tags.
However, this approach, for some unknown reason, is error prone.
Pan would sporadically fail an assertion in gtk_text_iter.c (or something
like that) and would sometimes just crash with a segmentation fault.

My guess is that removing the tags from the table is doing something
undefined.

The approach I finally took was lifted from the gtk-devel mailing list.
Copying the tag members explicitly is bound to break if there are changes
in the tag so I don't like it either, but so far, I'm just going with what
works. I saw some gtk_text_tag documentation but it didn't seem to offer
any different solution. Any ideas?

> I'm not in favour of this, for the reasons Gollum mentioned: if we don't
> follow the standard, we're bound to hit false positives. Following the
> standards is the best approach.

Charles suggested supporting it provided we don't fall into the trap where
the "\n--\n" token did not represent a delimited signature.
That is, make sure there are no "\n-- \n" tokens following it in the
message.

How would that be?

--
"No one has ever had an idea in a dress suite"-Sir Frederick G. Banting