pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Mandrake RPMs and menus

From: John LeMay
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Mandrake RPMs and menus
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 23:06:37 -0500 (EST)

Actually, we went through this about a year ago and the decision was to
not incorporate menu items, icons, and all the "extras" into the package.
Doing so would require maintaining a whole other set of changes to the
spec file that no one was up for then (and I'm still not up for).

Everyone at the time thought it best to allow the official Mandrake
packager build in the Mandrake related extras. I believe if you rpm -e pan
to get rid of the "official", yet older, Mandrake package before
installing the new one the menu items should go away thus preventing
broken menus.

I don't believe anyone is doing this for the other packages (RH, SuSE,
etc) for the same reasons. The idea of having binaries available is to
make it simple to upgrade for more advanced users looking for the latest
and greatest that either don't yet have the skills or don't have the
desire (speed, dasd, etc) to compile their own.