pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: [Pan-users] Speed of pan

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: [Pan-users] Speed of pan
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:02:55 -0600

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 08:46:37AM -0800, Charles Kerr wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:35:06PM -0500, John J. LeMay Jr. wrote:
> > Pan starts here now in just about 1 second from click to the gui being up.
> > On
> > the older machine (ATA-66 and a 5400RPM disk) the startup time was closer
> > to 5
> > seconds. Startup times for other "piggy" apps like Mozilla and OpenOffice
> > are
> > even more noticable.
>
> The startup time is due to Pan walking through your cache files to find out
> what you've got there.  I suppose we could store these message-ids in a file
> and use that instead of walking through the cache directories.  That should
> make Pan start up immediately regardless of the cache size...

what about starting the GUI, and walking the cache with another thread
running in the background?

as I understand these things, that would let you bring up the GUI, and while
you couldn't get a display of data right away, the user would at least see a
response to their action, and it would 'seem' faster.

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises