osip-dev

Re: [osip-dev] Extend call ringing

From: Carl Bevil
Subject: Re: [osip-dev] Extend call ringing
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 08:12:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'm not Aymeric, but I might be able to help with this.  I briefly checked the RFC, but didn't do a comprehensive search (so there may be more to the story; please feel free to check my facts).

As far as I know, you cannot send a re-INVITE until a SIP dialog has been established.  Until you receive a final response for your initial INVITE (and you have sent an ACK), you are not in a dialog.  From RFC 3261, section 14:

An INVITE request sent within an
   existing dialog is known as a re-INVITE.

Prior to dialog establishment, you would be sending a retransmission of the INVITE.  Once you receive a provisional response (such as a 100 Trying or 180 Ringing), you are not supposed to send any retransmissions.  From section 17.1.1.1:

After receiving a 1xx response, any retransmissions cease altogether, and
   the client waits for further responses.

Also, I think retransmitting with altered/added headers would be incorrect.

Good luck,

Carl