Re: [Openvortex-dev] Au8830 openvortex drivers on 2.6.x kernels

From: Zach Borgerding
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Au8830 openvortex drivers on 2.6.x kernels
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:09:24 -0500

It was mentioned several days ago, on this list, and on the Alsa-Project
website, that 1.0.2c (and a few earlier versions) have several fixes for 2.6.x
kernels.  You should be using these files.  As of right now, without a few
modifications, Manuel's patch will not work with 1.0.2.  You will need to hold
out on the patch until then.  Please try 1.0.2c insteal of 1.0.1.

Compile them in this manner:
--with-oss=yes

Download the most recent of following 3 libraries from the ALSA site,
alsa-project.org :

alsa-driver
alsa-lib
alsa-utils

It's a good idea to move them all to the same directory, "alsa" or something.

Build the driver with:

./configure --with-sequencer=yes --with-oss=yes
make
make install (as root)

Run:
./snddevices (as root)

Now build alsa-lib and alsa-utils:

./configure
make
make install (as root)

Do that for each of those packages.

Finally, put the following in your /etc/modules.conf file (may also be
conf.modules depending on your distro). Notice. Mine below is an au8830. Change
the number to match your card (e.g. au8810 or au8820.)  If your system already
has ALSA startup scripts that handle this (Slackware 9.1 for instance), you can
avoid this section.

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-au8830