Re: [Openvortex-dev] Howto use a patch....

From: Manuel Jander
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Howto use a patch....
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 17:31:42 -0400

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 04:20, Zach Borgerding wrote:
> Manuel,
>
>   I just experienced a lockup that is similar to the problems I was having
> with Savage.  I had a flash video playing in my browser and all of the
> sudden- it froze.  I ched dmesg and got this error:
>
> vortex: IRQ fifo error
> vortex: IRQ fifo error
> vortex: IRQ fifo error
> vortex: IRQ fifo error
> vortex: IRQ fifo error
> vortex: IRQ fifo error
> vortex: IRQ fifo error
> vortex: IRQ fifo error

These events happen sometimes, but it is not clear why and what they
really are. It just shows the occurrences of a IRQ status flag, that has
the label "fifo error".

> Vortex: vortex_fifo_setadbctrl fail

This happens, due to PCI latency problems, and as a result the Vortex
chip FIFO status register stops responding. If you unload the driver and
load it again, All should work again.
It would be great to handle some kind of recovery automatically, but i
still dont know how to do that in an appropriate fashion. Somehow we
need to gather the state of the driver and hardware, reset the Aureal
chip and restore the previous state. That easy to say, but hard to do.
Maybe once we support APM or ACPI, such kind of stuff would be easier,
since in that case we need state storing and restoring anyway.

Best Regards

Manuel.