[Openvortex-dev] Howto use a patch....

From: Manuel Jander
Subject: [Openvortex-dev] Howto use a patch....
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 08:37:53 -0400

OK, for all those who don't know,....

A patch is a file that modifies "original" files. That means if you got
a package of some software, but later the author a improvement, usually
we use patches containing only the differences between the original and
the new version.

Steps to follow:

-------- First get the original package where to apply the patch. The
version should match, if not it "may" not work. In this case the
"original" is the "ALSA driver" tarball from www.alsa-project.org
version 1.0.1. Version 1.0.2 may work too.

-------- Second, get the patch...

- Extract all files from original tarball. That can be done with this
command:

-> tar zxf alsa-driver-1.0.1.tar.gz

-------- Apply the patch:

You must be inside the directory of the "original":
-> cd alsa-driver-1.0.1

then:
zcat <your patch file.gz> |patch -p1

And thats it ....