[Openvortex-dev] Re: Aureal ALSA-kernel migration.

From: Takashi Iwai
Subject: [Openvortex-dev] Re: Aureal ALSA-kernel migration.
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:10:00 +0100

Hi Manuel,

At Tue, 03 Feb 2004 01:17:54 -0400,
Manuel Jander wrote:

> Hi this is a broadcast to all stations...
>
> I think i finally got it. The definitive patch to migrate the Aureal
> driver into the alsa-kernel path, and hopefully into kernel 2.6.
>
> Download it at:
> http://galadriel.mat.utfsm.cl/~mjander/aureal/alsa/aureal-alsakernel.patch.gz
>
> If you find any problem, report as soon as possible.

thanks for the patch.  after a quick look, i found two problems, one
is easy:

- #define __NO_VERSION__ should be removed from the codes in
  alsa-kernel, but done in alsa-driver tree.  it's for 2.2 kernels
  only.

but a serious one is

- au88x0_*.c have global functions vortex_*().

when you build multiple au88x0 drivers into kernel statically, they
will conflict with each other, because each au88[123]0_* includes the
same au88x0_* file.

i haven't notice this because alsa-drivers are supposed to be
modules...

to solve this situation, we'll need either:

- rename each function to a unique name for the card (maybe with the
  help of macro?)

- make them all static and implement as callbacks

- make the h/w specific functions as callback functions (i.e. hwread,
  hwrite, etc), and each function calls these callbacks.

the last case would be the most elegant, but the module structure will
be changed in this way, namely, each snd-au88[123]0 and a core
(common) module snd-au88x0-lib.

Takashi