[Openvortex-dev] OpenAL- ALSA advanced features hardware support update.

From: Manuel Jander
Subject: [Openvortex-dev] OpenAL- ALSA advanced features hardware support update.
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:09:19 -0400

Hi,

I updated my ALSA- OpenAL interface proposal, taking into account some
suggestions i have received, and some further investigations, specially
on the side of OpenAL.

Take a look at:
http://galadriel.mat.utfsm.cl/~mjander/aureal/alsa/OpenAL-ALSA.txt

AFAIK, the linux OpenAL port was not designed taken any hardware support
into account.

Things that go against my goals are:

- OpenAL only uses one single ALSA substream. There is no substream
management (must be added).
- OpenAL is not hardware mixing aware.
- OpenAL ALSA structs must be changed to integrate hardware context
data.

Things that are favorable:

- As far as i dug into OpenAL, it seems that all source buffer
processing is done in one single place (_alMixSources). Replacing this
call for hardware assisted sources seems feasible.

The same as for the first iteration of this proposal, please take some
minutes and give some comments/suggestions back. I need feedback.

Best Regards

--
Manuel Jander
mjander(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net