Re: [Openvortex-dev] Vortex 2 "SQ2500 Gold" Impressions. (SPDIF Hack Inf

From: Manuel Jander
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Vortex 2 "SQ2500 Gold" Impressions. (SPDIF Hack Info Too)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:11:00 -0400

Hi Zach,

Thats very useful. I can tell based on your info that the OEM Aureal
Vortex 2 (Digital Research ?), which has a 20pin header, has the pin 81
(SPDIF) located on the header pin 10. I couldn't find out where pin 70
goes on my OEM card.

SMD Capacitors only in very rare case have a value printed on them, but
labels like 103 are very common to resistors. 103 would be 10Kohm. A
rather high value for power supply (too low current). Does your
"special" card have a RCA SPDIF or a optical transmitter module ?

The AU8830 and AU8810 have direct SPDIF output. No encoding is
necessary, only some buffers (74HC04 or similar) to protect the Aureal
chip, and provide more current.

About the codec, do you get the SDAC Detected message on "dmesg" ? Are
you able to et playback on all 4 channels ?

Best Regards

Manuel