Re: [Openvortex-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] au8830+via & alsa 0.9.7c

From: Ryan Underwood
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] au8830+via & alsa 0.9.7c
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:25:54 -0500

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 10:00:50PM +0200, Wilfried Weissmann wrote:

> >Well, you just confirmed me that there was really a bug in the old
> >binary driver. The old binary driver keeps looping with some locks held
> >for a hardware flag that never changes, freezing your computer. Jeff
> >Muizelaar added a "lifeboat" to that loop, but very later we noticed
> >that this semes to help stability. Now we have the proove :D
>
> are there plans to include the pci fix into the driver? i think the
> cs46xx does something similar by detecting if it is run on a thinkpad
> and enabling some workaround if required. it should be pretty
> straightforward. just look if the pci-id of the via northbridge can be
> found on the pci bus and then set the registers according to the test
> result. if you want a patch for that then i could make one at the next
> weekend.

There is a patch on the Sourceforge site for PCI Latency.  It should be
trivial to modify it for the VIA fix.  However, I think there are
further problems in the binary component of the driver that would
require reworking to solve.  You could implement a new function outside
the binary driver, and then mess around the symbol in the binary part
so the linker doesn't find it also, and get confused.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253