Re: [Openvortex-dev] New preview available.

From: J. Gordon Wolfe
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] New preview available.
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:46:06 -0400

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 10:08, Manuel Jander wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> Here is another CVS update preview. SInce the other one segfaults when
> using SPDIF, this should not. Well if anyone is having problems with it,
> please tell us.
>
> I changed the behaviour a bit, thanks to Erik Gustavsson suggestions.
>
> - When playing thru the "adb" device, you get sound on your AC97 codec
> and the SPDIF with samplerate conversion (48000Hz only for now).
> - When you playback on the "spdif" device, audio is tunneled with any
> samplerate conversion, nor mixing to the SPDIF out, and the signals
> playing thru "adb" aren't routed to the SPDIF anymore, until the "spdif"
> device is closed.
>
> http://galadriel.mat.utfsm.cl/~mjander/aureal/alsa/alsa-09-20.tgz
>
> Best Regards
>
> Manuel Jander

Okay, well as before nothing works for me unless I remove this line
        hwwrite(vortex->mmio, VORTEX_SPDIF_CFG1, this_38 >> 0x10);
from vortex_spdif_init().  Since I don't really understand what that
line is supposed to accomplish, I can't say whether thats an
irregularity of my receiver, or my soundcard (SQ2500), or what.

When I remove that line, I still get no output over SPDIF on the ADB
device, and looking at the code it looks like I shouldn't.  It seems to
me that to get the ADB on the SPDIF, instead of doing this:
        vortex_route(vortex, en, 0x14, ADB_MIXOUT(vortex->mixspdif[0]),
ADB_SPDIFOUT(0));
        vortex_route(vortex, en, 0x14, ADB_MIXOUT(vortex->mixspdif[1]),
ADB_SPDIFOUT(1));
you'd want to do something like:
        vortex_route(vortex, en, 0x14, ADB_MIXOUT(vortex->mixplayb[0]),
ADB_SPDIFOUT(0));
        vortex_route(vortex, en, 0x14, ADB_MIXOUT(vortex->mixplayb[1]),
ADB_SPDIFOUT(1));
since those are the mixers for the ADB device, unless I'm very
confused.  I did something similar with your last tarball and it worked
beautifully.

Now, as for the SPDIF device, once I take out that hwwrite line, it
seems to work.  In fact I think the sound quality is better than when I
took from the ADB device before.  However, when I play 44.1KHz ogg
files, the playback is a little too fast... I have some 48KHz flac files
which play correctly.  I tried changing the samplerate passed to
vortex_spdif_init(), but there was no change.

 - Gordon

--
J. Gordon Wolfe <address@hidden>