Re: [Openvortex-dev] alsa 0.9.6 merge

From: Seg
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] alsa 0.9.6 merge
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:02:28 -0500

> I've found a new bug that apears when I play two samples at the same
> time. For example two concurrent sessions of XMMS.
> The seccond stream seams fine so far, but in loud situations (bass
> drum for example) there is some heavy distortion in the sound.

This is probably just a basic problem with audio mixing, especially
digital. Add two signals together, you potentially get twice as much
dynamic range as the two signals will inevitably fall into phase at some
point and clip and distort. Lower frequencies tend to be more
noticeable.

About all you can do is cut the premix levels on the signals until they
stop over-saturating each other. Question is, is it distorting in the
Vortex codec itself or the AC97 mixer?

This is a problem sometimes when DJing. In that case you can do stuff
like just EQing down the bass, change the speed of one of the records a
little, or nudge the record forward a bit to get them out of phase...