Re: [Openvortex-dev] feature news

From: Manuel Jander
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] feature news
Date: 03 Jul 2003 19:34:26 -0400

Hello everybody,

I updated the CVS a bit. There were some bugs in the EQ code. Now it
should work a little better.

> > then comes wavetable and a3d :)

Yeah, doesnt seme that impossible. Its hard, but not impossible.

> Don't forget the vortex modem!   Only half kidding, ALSA is talking
> about generic softmodem support implemented soon, mainly waiting for
> opensource implementations of e.g. v.92/v.44.

The modem interface is just another audio DMA engine, as far as i
understood the code i've read about the modem so far. I don't have such
hardware... would interesting, specially the modem part itself: QAM
constelations :)

> Also, does the vortex have a OPL3 cell in hardware?  It always had a
> decent sounding Adlib emulation, but I don't know if it was actual hardware
> or just something running on the DSP.  I have a nice disassembly of the
> au30dos, although with tons of nice mysterious 0x29xxx addresses in it. :(

The aux0dos.com program sets the IO ports for the legacy devices. It
routes some ADB DMA channels in a static fashion for audio playback. It
looks like that the generic ADB functionality can't be used while at
least the SB pro emulation is enabled... wait a moment !! maybe there is
some fuzz with the 0x220 port on peoples affected by the stereo swapping
problem ? Someone once mailed me claiming that the aureal driver
interfered with his NE2000 ISA board (port 0x300 -> MPU401 port). Maybe
we should take a look if they are really disabled ?
OK back to the legacy device issue, the final question is, how does the
FM synth audio reach the codec ? Knowing this, probably will give us
some light about how those 64 WT audio streams get into the output mix.
The only thing i can think about is that there is maybe another static
wired mixer we just dont know about yet.

> An independent rear PCM device would be excellent of course but I don't
> think there's anyway to do that outside of the A3D engine.

That doesnt seme to difficult. It semes just a matter of routing.

> Has SPDIF been tested?  I haven't had a chance to do so.

I didn't, but same as above, a matter of routing the audio to the
appropiate "port".

> > I am still working on getting a reassmeblable version of the win2k/nt4
> > drivers a la tui.
>
> What disassembler are you using?

Jeff's IDA diassembly is very readable. I've made big profit from it.

Best Regards

Manuel Jander.