[Openvortex-dev] Re: Low volume, distortion, etc

From: J. Gordon Wolfe
Subject: [Openvortex-dev] Re: Low volume, distortion, etc
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 02:07:11 -0400

> On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 10:44:10PM -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > > What is your motherboard chipset?  I have a MS-6163 BXMaster with
> > > i440BX.  The Vortex is sharing an IRQ with the video card, a Matrox
> > > G400.  My CPU is a Celeron-II 533 overclocked at 840mhz.
> >
> > I have an Abit BH6 440BX based board, running a Celeron 800 at 992mhz,
> > (124mhz bus).
>
> Dang, our systems are pretty similar.  Wonder if that has anything
> to do with it?
>
> Anyone else on this list have a BX board?

Wow, this is a little freaky.  Mines an Intel SE440BX-2 mobo (you can guess
the chipset) with a P3-850.  However, I'm pretty sure my Vortex has its own
IRQ, though I'm not anywheres near that computer right now so I can't check
for sure.

> > 00:11.0 Multimedia audio controller: Aureal Semiconductor Vortex 2 (rev fe)
> >         Subsystem: Aureal Semiconductor AU8830 Vortex 3D Digital Audio
> > Processor
> >         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 9
>
> Mine is rev fa, hrmm.

I think mine's fa, but I might be wrong.  I'll have to check when I get back.
 Regardless, it doesn't seem to be a specific revision thing, unless its a
whole bunch of revisions that are bad, which seems unlikely.

> > contention, however heavy disk and net access don't seem to reliably
> > trigger it either. Very strange.
>
> Yeah, it's fairly random on my machine, the correlation with cpu
> activity could be purely psychological.  Perhaps there is a programming
> error that has been laying around since the days of Aureal and gone
> unnoticed.

Thats what I'm afraid of, because you know it will be something like they
OR'ed with 0xff instead of 0xfe and because we don't know much about the
hardware, we'll never figure it out.  Anyway, I expect I'll be home tomorrow,
then I can grab the cvs changes and try to figure out what if anything is
going on with the code.

Of course, now I'm really starting to wonder about the 440BX chipset.  Anybody
out there with a different chipset on their board?  Or maybe one of you guys
has an alternate mobo hanging around you can try.  Off the top of my head, I
think all my stuff is Intel...

--
J. Gordon Wolfe <address@hidden>