Re: [Openvortex-dev] Some strange problems using au8830

From: Marc Heerdink
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Some strange problems using au8830
Date: 27 May 2003 17:55:48 +0200

Op ma 26-05-2003, om 22:21 schreef Olivier Brunet:
> I've juste Installed your alsa-driver release from CVS on my Dell Dimension
> (turtle Beach Montego II OEM, Vortex2) running a new gentoo.
>
> The beast seems to work, but as time pass the sound become a little bit
> distorded or saturated. Is this a known problem ? Can I help in some way ?

I guess this is the same bug that I'm experiencing, only I have heavily
distorted sound right from the start of playback..

I've done some experimenting today with latest CVS and I'm happy to
report at least the chip n dale bug (aka fastplay bug) is entirely gone.
The distorted sound is still here though, the low sound level as well.

I've tried if CD audio is also distorted. It is, but it's less than with
plain PCM playback. This probably means both pcm and master channels are
distorted and it's the master channel which distorts cd playback.
Lowering the volume makes the problem go away a bit. At 100/100 I have a
lot of distortion and at 70/70 the sound quality is somewhat better (but
so soft I have to crank up the speaker volume almost to the max). At a
volume as low as 30/30 the distortion was still audible but nearly gone.
Lower volumes were to soft to hear at all..

Marc

--
         (__)
         (oo)