openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] Re: OpenExr >=16bit editor

From: lists
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] Re: OpenExr >=16bit editor
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 20:52:07 +0200

On Jul 9, 2004, at 6:44 PM, L.Yimm wrote:
This is the same thing that happens when you open an exposure from
HDRshop in Photoshop. Photoshop is simply a low dynamic range image
editor. The 16 bits per channel it can handle does not include any
greater dynamic range, only finer subdivisions of the range you already
have. Caveat Productor. (noticed your email domain...)

I was under the impression that HDRShop saves out a temp file...so that the image can be edited in Photoshop...but retains the dynamic range of the original HDR. But freely admit that I could be completely wrong.....

No, you are completely right. Of course, I freely admit I could be wrong, too (about a lot of things).

I believe it is a temp file of one "slice" of the overall exposures in the HDR file. I may have alluded to that, but I tend to be obtuse.

You could, in theory, edit a temp file for each rough exposure "stop" of your file in HDRshop and apply the same layer (or Actions, even) of editing to each file and save them all back into your HDR file, but aside from the obvious color and intensity differences, many tools that rely on the "composite" image (like blurring, dodging and burning, etc.) would simply not work in the same way. I'm not really aware of another way around this aside from using the currently available tools.

I know that many transformations are available, in a form, in HDRshop directly, but a basic thing like cloning across mutliple slices is nigh impossible unless you are using an editor designed for repeated brush actions, or you are very patient with drawing paths to "stroke" in Photoshop. (I can always think of ways to do these things, but I get frustrated of "working around" and keep looking for another way.)

Add in the fact that I prefer to do most of my image editing on a Mac, and my experience using HDRshop in a workflow is even more "hiccuppy." So far the beta of Photogenics seems to be a good alternative for me, and CinePaint is a good all-arounder with only a few glitches, but in both cases you need a certain amount of technical savvy and readjustment to get into a workflow. YM(K)MV

-Mark

BTW: Most traffic on this list in 4 months!