Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenExr 2.3 - slower write speeds for Uncompressed a

From: Nick Porcino
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenExr 2.3 - slower write speeds for Uncompressed and Zip1
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 04:05:28 +0000

One of the big differences between 2.2 and 2.3 is that we moved from pthread to std::thread, and made a number of corrections for thread safety.

e.g.

https://github.com/openexr/openexr/commit/eea1e607177e339e05daa1a2ec969a9dd12f2497

https://github.com/openexr/openexr/commit/bf0cb8cdce32fce36017107c9982e1e5db2fb3fa

The old pthread/windows native implementation can be re-enabled by setting the preprocessor define ILMBASE_FORCE_CXX03. I am wondering if you might be able to benchmark against that version of the code as an experiment to get more information?