[Openexr-devel] Speeding up Python

From: Tyler Fox
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Speeding up Python
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 12:39:04 -0700

Getting data in and out of imath in python is *SLOW*. And yes, Python is a slow language, but that doesn't mean we can't kick it up a notch.
Could I get some feedback on my proposals to speed things up?

https://github.com/openexr/openexr/pull/373
First is a PR with a *very* simple change that just exposes the memory address of the imath object.
With a few lines of python code, you can read the c-data and re-interpret it in whatever way you want.

https://github.com/openexr/openexr/issues/367
This is an issue where I described a more complex (and maybe more pythonic?) way of exposing the underlying data.

Either of these proposals could remove the need for imathnumpy... Or imathnumpy could be replaced with a pure-python module that handles the more error prone memory mapping.

Thoughts?
~T.Fox