Re: [Openexr-devel] openexr 2.0

From: Piotr Stanczyk
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] openexr 2.0
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 15:18:47 +0000

Hi Gresham,

Sorry for the long silence on this one...

The general story is that Weta have very kindly contributed their work on the
ODZ file format they developed with the intent of extending OpenEXR.

A number of parties have provided support in extending the current code base to
encompass the two main concepts:
- the ability to store a number of distinct images in one file
- the ability to store more than one sample per pixel (typically in depth)

As of today, a large portion of the implementation is operational, albeit in an
'alpha' stage. There is still work surrounding the testing and the various
utilities that go along with the distribution, as well as reaching agreement on
what the RGBA interface should look like.
Once we get a little closer to a more stable version I will be posting out
general documentation, code snippets and the access to the source.

I have posted an announcement to this list about a VFX open source event taking
place at Siggraph this year. Alas, I am not able to attend, but a number of
contributors, including developers from Weta, will be there to talk shop.

Thanks,

Piotr