Re: [Openexr-devel] DisplayWindow example images - -1, -1 display window

From: Paul Miller
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] DisplayWindow example images - -1, -1 display window origin?
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 09:20:33 -0500

On 8/1/2011 10:17 PM, Florian Kainz wrote:
OpenEXR allows negative coordinates for the display window and data window.
OpenEXR also does not prescribe any particular spatial relationship between
the data window and the display window. The two windows will usually
overlap, but they don't have to. Some of the t??.exr files are meant to
test application behavior for the non-overlapping case.

Florian - you say OpenEXR doesn't prescribe any particular spatial relationship between the data window and the display window. I can understand a data window that does not overlay the display window (for say a CG object that has gone out of frame, but who's data could still be used to generate shadows or something else in-frame - I'm not a compositor so I'm guessing here). Can you provide an example of a situation where the data/display windows do not have this kind of spatial relationship?

That aside, Silhouette does not yet have the concept of a data window or ROI. Unfortunately I have to clip the data to the display when I read the image. Is there a way to read the intersection of the data/display windows using some combination of the framebuffer parameters and readPixels() range, without resorting to a line-by-line read?

Many thanks for your advice!