Re: [Openexr-devel] 8 bit int?

From: Larry Gritz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] 8 bit int?
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:13:07 -0700

Florian Kainz wrote:
For 32-bit integers the numerical value is approximated. [...]

This doesn't seem very useful for 8-bit integers.  Most of the time you'd
want 0 through 255 to represent a 0.0 to 1.0 range, optionally with a
gamma curve.

Ah, I see, the difference is the implicit [0,1] range.

I'm tempted (not that this is an immediate thing at all) to try the solution "store as fp16, with header attribute that hints that it can be down-converted to uint8 upon read" and see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion!

        -- lg

--
Larry Gritz
address@hidden