Re: [Openexr-devel] 64 bit libHalf - R_X86_64_32S _eLut and -fPIC questi

From: Paul Miller
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] 64 bit libHalf - R_X86_64_32S _eLut and -fPIC question
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:11:02 -0500

Paul Miller wrote:
Well, this is a strange one.

I'm building libHalf statically on a 32 bit kubuntu system and a 64 bit system. I'm linking it in with a shared library.

On the 32 bit system, everything is fine.

On the 64 bit system (kubuntu 6.0.6, full upgrade), when I attempt to link my shared library (again, with the 64 bit static libHalf.a), I get this link error:

A couple of people (thank you) pointed me in the right direction - I needed to manually tell the IlmBase configure script to enable PIC.

Since fPIC is apparently *required* on x64 Linux, I was wondering why the configure script didn't automatically enable it for me. Is that a bug or a feature?

--
Paul Miller | address@hidden | www.fxtech.com | Got Tivo?