[Openexr-devel] OpenEXR 1.6.0, library issues under Windows

From: Ben Ochoa
Subject: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR 1.6.0, library issues under Windows
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:14:09 -0700

I've been using OpenEXR 1.4.0 in Windows applications for the past year and just tried OpenEXR 1.6.0. I'm encountering some issues using the 1.6.0 libraries in my applications due to conflicting release and debug libraries. I believe that a different directory structure and file naming convention would resolve these issues.

For OpenEXR 1.4.0, I use the `pre-compiled for Windows, Visual Studio .NET 2005' package. The 1.4.0 pre-compiled package placed the .lib and .dll files in the lib and bin directories, and named the files according to the four possible library configurations (e.g., for Half, there is Half.lib (static release), Half_d.lib (static debug), Half_dll.lib and Half_dll.dll (DLL release), and Half_dll_d.lib and Half_dll_d.dll (DLL debug). For my applications, I always linked to either the static or static debug libraries for the respective release or debug build of my applications.

Since a similar pre-compiled package is not currently available for OpenEXR 1.6.0, I compiled it from source using the vc8 solution. Compiling 1.6.0 from source only provides configurations for creating DLLs. Although it creates debug and release libraries in different directories, the file names are the same (e.g., for Half, there is lib\Release\Half.lib and bin\Release\Half.dll (DLL), and lib\Debug\Half.lib and \bin\Debug\Half.dll (DLL debug). It would be great if the solution could be modified to create a directory structure and file naming convention similar to 1.4.0, doing away with the Release and Debug subdirectories, and placing both debug and release files in the bin and lib directories, but with different names. It would be nice if the solution also contained configurations for building debug and release static libraries, again placing them in the same bin and lib directories.

I don't know Visual Studio well enough to make these changes myself, but perhaps someone else does. Would anyone else benefit from these changes?

Thanks,
Ben