Re: [Openexr-devel] 1.6.0 OSX universal libraries not building

From: Paul Schneider
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] 1.6.0 OSX universal libraries not building
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 10:38:42 -0400

Hi, Ken,

I see this too, with the pre-packaged source from savannah. If I checkout the source from CVS, I can still build universal.

Every invocation of libtool I see in make's output passes both -arch flags. It also seems that the object files and the static libraries are being built universal, but the shared libraries are being built thin. I notice that the shared libraries don't have the .dylib extension, like they do when I build from CVS.

spyhunter:~/Desktop/openexr-1.6.0 paul$ file IlmImf/.libs/ ImfIntAttribute.o IlmImf/.libs/ImfIntAttribute.o: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures IlmImf/.libs/ImfIntAttribute.o (for architecture ppc): Mach-O object ppc IlmImf/.libs/ImfIntAttribute.o (for architecture i386): Mach-O object i386

spyhunter:~/Desktop/openexr-1.6.0 paul$ file IlmImf/.libs/libIlmImf.a
IlmImf/.libs/libIlmImf.a: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
IlmImf/.libs/libIlmImf.a (for architecture ppc): current ar archive random library IlmImf/.libs/libIlmImf.a (for architecture i386): current ar archive random library

spyhunter:~/Desktop/openexr-1.6.0 paul$ file IlmImf/.libs/libIlmImf.6
IlmImf/.libs/libIlmImf.6: Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386

When building the source directly from CVS, I get:

spyhunter:~/src/OpenExr paul$ file IlmImf/.libs/libIlmImf.6.dylib
IlmImf/.libs/libIlmImf.6.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures IlmImf/.libs/libIlmImf.6.dylib (for architecture ppc): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc IlmImf/.libs/libIlmImf.6.dylib (for architecture i386): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386

I'll see if I can track this down. Can you use the source from CVS in the meantime as a workaround?

- Paul