Re: [Openexr-devel] New framesPerSecond Attribute?

From: Michael Wolf
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] New framesPerSecond Attribute?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 17:29:57 +0200

Hi Florian,

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 06:05:52 +0200, Florian Kainz <address@hidden> wrote:

> I would like propose a new "framesPerSecond" standard attribute
> for OpenEXR:
>
> The attribute defines the frame rate at which an OpenEXR image
> sequence should be played back.  All frames in a sequence should
> have this attribute, and the attribute's value should be the same
> for all frames.  If no frame rate is specified for a sequence,
> then playback software should assume 24 frames per second.
>
> The attribute's value could be represented either as a floating-
> point number or as the quotient of two integers.  A floating-point
> number would be easier to use, but it cannot represent NTSC frame
> and field rates exactly.  A quotient would be slightly less
> convenient, but all commonly used frame rates, including NTSC,
> can be represented exactly.

Very good idea and it makes a lot of sense.
I'd prefer the quotient as well, however, some host applications only return a
floating point number for the frame rate.

Would it pollute OpenEXR too much to allow for both, or a single attribute
which by default stores the floating point number, but also may containe the
quotient? (a value of 0/0 would in that case mean only the floating point fps
is valid).

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. Thanks for all the work put into OpenEXR!

--
db&w GbR
Seyffer Str. 34

http://www.db-w.com