Re: [Openexr-devel] UNICODE support in openexr file I/O

From: Drew Hess
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] UNICODE support in openexr file I/O
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:52:31 -0800

"Luc-Eric Rousseau" <address@hidden> writes:

> In addition to UTF, it would be best if you provided wchar_t support for
> Windows like libtiff (TiffOpenW) does.  Most users that require unicode, like
> the users of our Japanese versions, run Windows.  (The unix users would
> typically be avoiding unicode names because of lack of support elsewhere.)
>
>> The type wchar_t is compiler implementation dependant - it varies
>> in size from compiler to compiler and should NEVER be used as a type in
>> files.
>
> pretty much eveyrthing in c++ a library is compiler-dependant, because name
> mangling, the object (ex: v-table implementation, exceptions) and data (ex:
> enums size) are compiler-dependant.

Chris was talking about storing wchar_t in a file, not its in-memory
representation.  If we started storing wide characters in files, we'd
provide a portable Xdr representation for it like we do everything
else.

I (and, I'm pretty sure, Florian) don't really know the in's and out's
of Windows's internationalization support.  Are you saying that
supporting UTF-8 filenames and StringAttributes would not suffice for
international Windows users?