Re: Announcements of new Octave releases

From: Sébastien Villemot
Subject: Re: Announcements of new Octave releases
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 10:10:29 +0200

Dear Kay,

Le jeudi 29 juillet 2021 à 14:55 +0900, Kai Torben Ohlhus a écrit :
> During the recent Octave developer meeting [1] the question was raised,
> if announcements of new Octave releases have to be better communicated.
>
> Therefore, we are curious, which channels do you monitor?
>
> For example:
> - Website: https://octave.org/
> - RSS/Atom: https://octave.org/feed.xml
> - Wiki: https://wiki.octave.org/
> - Discourse: https://octave.discourse.group/
> - Other?
>
> Is there anything you would like to see improved about Octave release
> announcements?

Currently my main source of information about new Octave releases is an
automatic tool that runs on Debian infrastructure and that periodically
checks whether a new tarball has appeared on GNU mirrors. See the top
of the following page, which mentions the 6.3.0 release:
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/octave

I used to be subscribed to the octave-maintainers@gnu.org list, but I
recently unsubscribed, since there was almost no traffic. My
understanding is that this list has been deprecated in favour of
Discourse. And in any case, my experience is that release announcements
were rarely posted to this list.

For release notifications, I prefer receiving an email rather than
having to regularly prod a website (Octave is not the only software in
which I am interested, and checking out many websites regularly is not
scalable). So if there was a reliable way to get release announcements
via email (either via octave-maintainers@, or via a new dedicated
list), I would be interested in that. Otherwise, I can live with the
current situation.

Best,

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot