Re: Removing __init_qt__ dependency on libgui

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Removing __init_qt__ dependency on libgui
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 13:52:41 -0500

On 11/11/20 5:22 AM, Alex Leach wrote:

I would like to propose however, that development of the qt backend go back the other way. Instead of merging and increasing its dependencies on the core GUI, can we try and bring back its modular nature and remove any dependencies on the main GUI?

If I understand correctly, you are proposing that the Qt plotting code + Octave interpreter be usable without the Octave GUI? That seems reasonable, and I'm willing to work in that direction if you would like to help with defining how these components should work together and be initialized. As you note, however, the Qt graphics code is not usable without the Octave interpreter. So why not have your application start the interpreter and interact with it to create plots using the Qt graphics code?