Re: Email notifications from bug tracker

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Email notifications from bug tracker
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 15:31:12 -0600

Markus Mutzel wrote:
> Am 07. Oktober 2020 um 21:34 Uhr schrieb "Ian Kelling":
> > > Could you please check if there is something wrong with the email
> > > notifications?
> >
> > It looks like frontend1.savannah.gnu.org is not sending new bug messages
> > to eggs, probably something going wrong there.

Yes.  The munin graphs show a steady increase in the size of the mailq
indicating a problem there.

For some reason systemd is running in degraded mode.

    root@frontend1:~# systemctl status
    + frontend1
        State: degraded
         Jobs: 0 queued
       Failed: 1 units

    root@frontend1:~# systemctl list-units --state=failed
      UNIT             LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
    + opendkim.service loaded failed failed DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM)
Milter

I kicked systemd to restart the service and things appear happy now.

    root@frontend1:~# systemctl status opendkim.service | head
    + opendkim.service - DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) Milter
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/opendkim.service; enabled; vendor
preset: enabled)
       Active: active (running) since Wed 2020-10-07 17:17:30 EDT; 53s ago

Then I asked Postfix to run its queues and deliver queued messages.

    root@frontend1:~# postfix flush
    root@frontend1:~# tail -F /var/log/mail.log
    ...lots of activity...

This reduced the mailq down to the 16 messages which is a more normal
level of account registration abuse noise.  I'll double check them all
more deeply later but a quick scan looked like all routine now.

I rebooted the system because I wanted to verify that everything at
least starts happy after a reboot.  It rebooted okay and booted up
cleanly with everything running and systemd in a the "running" state.

    root@frontend1:~# systemctl status
    + frontend1
        State: running
         Jobs: 0 queued
       Failed: 0 units
        Since: Wed 2020-10-07 17:23:55 EDT; 5min ago

    root@frontend1:~# systemctl list-units --state=failed
    0 loaded units listed.  ...

Thank you for the problem report and sorry for the delay in getting
the problem resolved.

Bob