Re: portable terminal

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: portable terminal
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 12:40:18 -0400

On 7/29/20 12:31 PM, Rik wrote:
jwe,

I saw this bit of code in your latest check-in for __debug_octave__.m:

+    if (isunix ())
+      ## FIXME: is there a portable way to run a command in a new window?
+      ## Obviously, gnome-terminal is not always available.
+      command_string = "gnome-terminal -- gdb -p %d";

As far as I'm aware there isn't a 100% working solution.  On the other hand, it probably is possible to do a bit better than one hardcoded terminal.  I happen to use KDE for the desktop and don't have said terminal installed.

I tried xdg-open, but it treats the command as a URL.

I think for a fair number of systems have the alternatives system inherited from Debian (Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) or an implementation copied from Debian (RHEL, Fedora) in which case there is a link at /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator which will work.

Also, can the default be made to use '-e gdb -p %d'?  That syntax will work with either gnome-terminal or konsole, but the existing one does not.

Sure, please make whatever changes are helpful. I have no objection to improvements.