Re: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 12:31:13 +0200

Am 15. Juli 2020 um 11:58 Uhr schrieb "John W. Eaton":
> On 7/11/20 4:28 AM, Markus Mützel wrote:
>
> > @jwe: Are you managing the dreamhost account?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Do you think they could help setting up the email forward of
> > maintainers@octave.org to octave-maintainers@gnu.org correctly?
> > At the moment gnu.org rejects some of the messages because the sending
> > domain and the IP of the dreamhost server mismatch (see above).
>
> I'm not sure what to ask them to do.
>
> I have many forwards for each list on the server (not sure that all are
> needed, but I added them to be complete since all of these are used by
> mailmain):
>
>    octave-maintainers@octave.org  octave-maintainers@gnu.org
>    octave-maintainers-admin@octave.org  octave-maintainers-admin@gnu.org
>    octave-maintainers-bounces@octave.org  octave-maintainers-bounces@gnu.org
>    octave-maintainers-confirm@octave.org  octave-maintainers-confirm@gnu.org
>    octave-maintainers-join@octave.org  octave-maintainers-join@gnu.org
>    octave-maintainers-leave@octave.org  octave-maintainers-leave@gnu.org
>    octave-maintainers-owner@octave.org  octave-maintainers-owner@gnu.org
>    octave-maintainers-request@octave.org  octave-maintainers-request@gnu.org
>    octave-maintainers-subscribe@octave.org
> octave-maintainers-subscribe@gnu.org

To be honest, I thought that the mail server on octave.org was managed by
dreamhost. But from what you've written, I gather that you manage mailman on
that server yourself?

I'm not sure if this will work. But maybe the following will setup SRS on that
server (stolen from
https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/postfix-sender-rewriting-scheme.66290/
 ):
# apt-get install postsrsd
# sed -i "s/^SRS_DOMAIN=.*/SRS_DOMAIN=`hostname -f`/" /etc/default/postsrsd
# service postsrsd stop
# service postsrsd start
# postconf -e "sender_canonical_maps = tcp:localhost:10001"
# postconf -e "sender_canonical_classes = envelope_sender"
# postconf -e "recipient_canonical_maps = tcp:localhost:10002"
# postconf -e "recipient_canonical_classes= envelope_recipient,header_recipient"
# postfix reload

If that isn't possible, maybe we could also ask gnu.org to whitelist the IP of
the mailserver on octave.org.

> If you want to avoid the forwarding problems, then maybe the best
> solution is to just use the @gnu.org addresses directly?

You are right, I could just use the @gnu.org addresses instead (and I usually
do now). But it's easy to forget to check which mail address will be used when
clicking on "Reply all".

Markus