Re: [mxe] stable build from source

From: Stefan Pofahl
Subject: Re: [mxe] stable build from source
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 21:47:49 +0200

Am Di., 14. Juli 2020 um 21:09 Uhr schrieb John W. Eaton <jwe@octave.org>:
On 7/14/20 1:52 PM, Markus Mützel wrote:
> Am 14. Juli 2020 um 18:01 Uhr schrieb "Stefan Pofahl":
>> Is there anyone who succeeded building an octave-stable during the last week?
>
> The buildbots are running build jobs for MXE Octave continuously and they seem to be doing fine:
> http://buildbot.octave.org:8010/#/waterfall
>
>> I have now tried to compile it for more than a week, for at least 7 times.
>> I tried both, new clone and removal of the old make folder and update clone and clean
>> make folder.
>> It always stops after or during the compilation of "libbiosig", attached you can find the log-file.
>
> I can't see any error in the log file you attached. libbiosig seems to compile correctly for you.
>
>> Here is what I do:
>> 1.) clone repository or update
>> hg clone https://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave[https://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave]
>>
>> or
>> hg -v pullhg -v update
>>
>> 2.) build ./configure
>> ./bootstrap
>>

>> 3.) Clean Build Directory, if makefile exist inside the build-folder
>> make clean
>>

>> 4.) Generate Makefile inside of build directory
>> /home/mylogin/hg/mxe-octave/configure --enable-devel-tools \--enable-windows-64 \--enable-octave=stable \--enable-binary-packages \--with-ccache \--with-pkg-dir=/home/mylogin/builds/octave_pkg
>>
>> 4.) Compile Octave-stable inside the build directory
>> make all 7z-dist JOBS=4 --trace --keep-going
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>
> Running "make clean" after bootstraping seems strange. That probably effectively reverts what the bootstrap script was doing.

Unless things have changed, mxe-octave is not set up to properly build
in a directory separate from the source tree, so if you are trying that,
I expect it will fail.

If you are building the stable version, then you'll need to create a
dist file for version 6.  In the buildbot configs, that is the step that
executes

   nice -n 19 make JOBS=8 hg-octave-dist hg-octave-branch=stable

That is supposed to build a copy of the current sources from the stable
branch, run make dist to create a tar.lz file, and copy it to your
PKG_SRC directory.

jwe

The "make clean" command is only used in the separate build-folder,
if a new make-command should be executed in a build folder that includes
a makefile from a previous make-process.

For completeness, below what I see at the end:
[...]
touch '/home/spofahl/builds/octave_stable/log/20200714_131252/libbiosig'
ln -sf '20200714_131252/libbiosig' '/home/spofahl/builds/octave_stable/log/libbiosig'
if ! (time make -f '/home/spofahl/builds/octave_stable/Makefile' 'build-only-libbiosig')
&> '/home/spofahl/builds/octave_stable/log/libbiosig';
then echo;
echo 'Failed to build package libbiosig!';
echo '------------------------------------------------------------';
tail -n 30 '/home/spofahl/builds/octave_stable/log/libbiosig' | sed -n '/./p';
echo '------------------------------------------------------------';
echo '[log]      /home/spofahl/builds/octave_stable/log/libbiosig'; echo; exit 1; fi
echo '[done]     libbiosig'
[done]     libbiosig
make: Das Ziel ,,7z-dist" wurde wegen Fehlern nicht aktualisiert.
[...]

Thanks John for your advice!
The mxe-octave-release version can be built in a separate build dir,
therefore, my hope was, it will also work for the "stable"-release.

Is it possible to download the snapshots of octave-stable somewhere?

Regards,

Stefan

--
Stefan Pofahl