Re: Learning the Octave interpreter code to implement Java class dot-ref

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Learning the Octave interpreter code to implement Java class dot-referencing
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2020 18:11:43 -0400

On 7/11/20 5:35 PM, Hossein Sajjadi wrote:

> It already is written  when no classdef implementation existed. The
> `octave_java` as pointed out in the previous post is related to
> javaObject and javaMethod. 'octave_java' is one of pieces of the
> proposed design . I think the current  interpreter has all of things
> to be used in the implementation of java dot referencing. If MATLAB
> compatibility is important all things should be implemented as
> classdef. Defining special rules for evaluation of expressions
> containing java objects complicates the evaluator and may have
> performance implications.

It's not a "special rule for evaluation of expressions containing java
obects"; no Java objects are involved at all. It's the general rule for
evaluating expressions that may contain dot-qualified identifiers which
may resolve to either Java classes (not objects) or M-code classdef
classes (not objects).

Cheers,
Andrew