Re: [GSoC 2020] Octave git-mirrors

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: [GSoC 2020] Octave git-mirrors
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 10:24:08 -0700

On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 17:34:08 +0900, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
> Our GSoC student Abdallah is interested in using GitHub for his project
> this year [1].  Therefore, we chose your git-mirror on GitHub [2] as his
> upstream repository.

Great, thanks for pointing out that option and finding it useful.

> Is there a way we can help you to maintain / update your GitHub
> repository?  Obtaining weekly updates from Octave's main repository
> would be nice to keep up with the latest changes.

No help needed with updating. If Abdallah is going to be making Octave
contributions as GitHub PRs, then of course please help review and
refine those to our standard contribution guidelines, and I'll be
willing to push them upstream when they are ready.

> Personally, I am interested how you update that repo.  Do you run some
> conversion script on your local machine?

Yes, I do all of my Octave work with git now using git-cinnabar [1], and
as a side effect I push the converted history to GitHub and Gitlab. I
can describe the setup if you think it would be useful.

[1]: https://github.com/glandium/git-cinnabar

--
mike