Re: 2020 Code Sprint

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: 2020 Code Sprint
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 11:20:37 -0400

I think this is a great idea.  It's been a long time since we all got together.  As another plus, a lot of people are either in quarantine (see Italy) or are  voluntarily working from home, and boredom is a factor.

Previously we have just used the #octave IRC channel for sprints, but could consider something else.

Do we want a theme to the code sprint?  Or is this more of a social event and everyone will be hanging out and working on their own coding problems?

--Rik

more questions than answers:

- when does GSOC officially start again? And what's the gap between that and participant selection/confirmation? Might be a good time to set the sprint as an 'onboarding' experience.
- i'm a broken record regarding this for every organization I'm in, but how could this be used to bring on/educate the newbies? (not just GSOC) "getting started", "setting up your pc to contribute", "running windows, believe it or not all is not lost you can still help", etc. I could see webinar-esque value to something like those.

(edit: what's the octave-maintainers-request address?)