Re: Help in JSON encode/decode project

From: Abdallah Elshamy
Subject: Re: Help in JSON encode/decode project
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 21:53:57 +0200

> If you want to make a project out of it, spend some time with it and see
> where you think you can help improve it.

Thanks for your reply.

I followed your advice and started spending some time with it. Also the issues list [1] of the package provided some useful info. What I think I can help in improving are:

  • Using RapidJson instead of jsoncpp to enhance performance.

  • modifying jsondecode to be compatible with RapidJson.

  • Writing jsonencode in c++ to improve performance.

  • Verifying the “condensation” algorithm by writing more tests then moving it to c++.

  • Some modifications is needed in the documentation (for example the documentation of jsondecode function is just a repetition of the documentation of jsonencode.)

  • preparing the two functions to be integrated to the core of octave rather than a package.

I was thinking that writing tests [2] will help me more in understanding the project and the package. Do you think it’s a good idea to do so (in parallel with my preparation of the proposal with you and the maintainers of octave)?

Thanks for your time.

Abdallah

[1] https://github.com/apjanke/octave-jsonstuff/issues

[2] https://github.com/apjanke/octave-jsonstuff/issues/13