Re: Getting Tablicious on Octave Forge

From: José Abílio Matos
Subject: Re: Getting Tablicious on Octave Forge
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 21:03:40 +0000

On Friday, 31 January 2020 13.28.44 WET Andrew Janke wrote:
> I'm afraid I don't know anything about using Octave in notebooks.
> Anybody know if this is something that is supported? If it is, I'll see
> if I can throw in whatever you need to support integration of tables in
> to it.

In this case I am using the octave_kernel do be the kernel to connect octave
and jupyter:
https://github.com/Calysto/octave_kernel

meanwhile I opened an issue to understand what are the details required to
have tables supported on octave_kernel.
https://github.com/Calysto/octave_kernel/issues/168

In order to understand how this works in other kernel I take, as an example,
one of the R kernels (IRkernel):
https://github.com/IRkernel/IRkernel

The project has spawned an R package repr that takes care of the display of
the different objects in the supported mime-formats:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/repr/repr.pdf

Technically one difference between the above octave and R kernels is that the
octave kernel is done in python (because it is easier to start) while the R
kernel is done in R.

> > Table with the io part would simplify a lot the treatment of the data.
> > Currently we use textscan, to show how to deal with real world data files.
> > The main issue is that for students with a minimal background in
> > computing that approach may seem daunting at first (and the treatment of
> > date-times presents its challenges).
>
> In that case I'll bump up the priority of getting table I/O working.
> There was a recent update to the Octave io package that should make this
> feasible.
>
> Subscribe here if you'd like updates on table I/O progress:
> https://github.com/apjanke/octave-tablicious/issues/49

And so I did. Tell me how I can help with this.

> Cheers,
> Andrew

Regards,
--